I made this on the fly a few mornings ago and oh my gosh. What a keeper! This frittata is great fresh from the oven, the next day warmed up in the microwave or at room temperature. If possible, cook it in a cast iron pan.
The jar is my New Mexico Green Chile Salsa.
Stir your eggs so they get some air into them. Like you would for an omelet. Spray your pan well with non-stick spray or oil. Now add the eggs to the pan and distribute the bread evenly.
Sorry, this is sorta blurry, but you get the idea. Now sprinkle your cheese on top and cook on the stove over medium low. Don’t rush it. Cooking the eggs gently helps them be nice and fluffy.
The eggs are still wobbly in the middle but the sides are starting to pull away from the edge. Now it’s time to finish it in the oven. Once it is pretty solid in the middle it’s done. Let it cool for a few minutes and then slide it out of the pan.
I love a good OLD cast iron pan. Slice and serve with a bit of extra salsa.
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp New Mexico Green Chile Salsa
- 1 1/4 cups cubed day old bread or, about 2 slices
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs and milk until frothy. Stir in sauce, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture into a well oiled 9 inch cast iron or oven proof non-stick skillet.
- Spread bread cubes evenly over top. Sprinkle cheese over bread.
- Cook over medium low heat about 7 minutes or until sides are just cooked and beginning to pull away from pan without sticking.
- Place skillet in preheated oven to finish cooking. Cook 7 to 10 minutes or until frittata is solid in the middle and lightly brown.
- Remove skillet from oven and let sit for a few minutes. Loosen sides and bottom with a spatula. Slide frittata out onto board and slice like a pie.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
These measurements are merely a guideline. Add more eggs and use a larger skillet to serve more people.
Refrigerate leftovers and warm in the microwave the next day.
Serving Size1 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 172Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 287mgSodium 344mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 12g