It has been brutally hot for the last week so I have loathed being in the kitchen at the hottest part of the day to cook dinner. We have no air conditioning. Today we had a bit of relief so I roasted cauliflower in my Breville counter top oven. It produces a lot less heat and I love the convection option for caramelization. Now if you think you don’t like cauliflower you really must give this a try. Roasting gives it a totally different flavor.
Rather than cutting the cauliflower into florets, I prefer to slice it into about 3/4 inch slices. It’s much less fiddly than cutting it into florets and you get better browning That my friends is the key to nutty flavor. Also it’s much quicker to flip the slices.
Line a sheet pan with foil for easy clean up and place the sliced cauliflower on it. Give it some room. Drizzle both sides with olive oil and sprinkle on salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme.
Cook at 375 for 25 minutes flipping over the slices half way through. You want nice browning on both sides. If you can use convection it’s even better. The garlic and thyme compliment this better than any other spice combination I have tried, still there are lots of other possibilities. I need to try finely grated parmigiana. Hmmm, thinking out loud.
There you have it. An easy low calorie, healthy side dish. If you have leftovers it’s great in pasta salad or in a tossed green salad.
- 1 head fresh cauliflower
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Use the convection setting on your oven if you have it.
- Wash and throughly dry the cauliflower. Remove the leaves and stalk.
- Slice cauliflower in 3/4 inch slices. Place the slices on a sheet pan (I like to line mine with foil for easy clean-up)
- Drizzle both sides with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, thyme and garlic powder.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flipping over the slices half way through cooking.
Serving Size3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 54 Total Fat 3g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 95mg Carbohydrates 6g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 3g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 3g